Pilates is a fitness system, created by Joseph Pilates in the early 20s in Germany. It is a series of controlled movements, which are performed either on special handrails (reformer) or on the floor.
The Pilates method focuses on improving the flexibility, strength, and awareness of your body without unnecessary crowding.
The Pilates’s goal is to coordinate the mind, body and spirit, something that J. Pilates called it “control”.
During a Pilates session, you should constantly concentrate deep on your central muscles (stomach, lower back, hips, buttocks and thighs), muscle contractions, respiration, and quality (and not quantity) of your movements.
The goal is to coordinate the mind, body and spirit, something that J. Pilates called it “control”.
Some of the benefits of Pilates:
- strengthens and tones muscles without creating unnecessary muscle mass;
- raises awareness of your body;
- improves body posture;
- strengthens the spine and makes it more flexible;
- improves circulation;
- relieves back pain;
- improves balance;
- you get more control over breathing;
- it reduces stress, tension and gives you energy;
- teaches you how to coordinate the body, mind and spirit;
- improves your appearance and increases your self-esteem.